Foodbuzz

Monday, January 3, 2011

Chicken Curry/ Rassa

0 Comments

Woahhh!! Its not a Vegetarian Blog ;).....yeah!! Here goes the first Non-Vegetarian post for the blog and many will come following this one. 

This post takes me to the past when I was a partial Vegetarian. With that I mean, I used to eat Eggs but was a no-no to flesh. The reason behind this could possibly be my father who was a Vegetarian & my Mom hardly used to bring Chicken or Mutton in house unless my Bro demands for it. So it was very rare. 

However, Y entering into my life, taught me right from "choosing the good piece of Chicken" to "enjoying it to the fullest"!! Post marriage, I never entered into the kitchen when it was a "Chicken/ Mutton Day" with a fear that I might stop eating it after actually watching the way it was cooked!!

Today, anybody who knows me, will never accept the above fact so easily. Days have passed & things have altered. Chicken has become the part & parcel of my life now...I cook it....eat it & off course.....experiment it :D

This is a very basic Maharashtrian Chicken Curry ('Rassa' as they call to 'Curry' in Maharashtra) Recipe I first learnt & seems to be very fuss free for me....especially when I have to take out some soup for my toddler. Check it...

Chicken Curry/ Rassa

Chicken Curry/ Rassa

Serves: 2-3                         Preparation Time: 10-15 mins                Cooking Time: 15-20 mins

Ingredients:

1/4 kg Chicken (with bones)
1 small onion (finely chopped)
2 tsp haldi
1 tbspn kashmiri red chilly pwd
1/2 tbspn red chilly pwd
1 tbspn home-made kala (black) masala OR 1/2 tbspn home-made garam masala
6-8 tbspn oil
salt as per taste

(I) Make to paste without water:

   1 tbspn grated dry/ fresh coconut
   3-4 garlic cloves
   small piece of ginger
   few coriander leaves

(II) Make to fine paste (masala) adding water:

To be made to paste (II)
1 medium onion (thinly sliced & roasted in a  tsp oil)
3 tbspn grated dry coconut (dry roasted)
1 1/2 tbspn puffed chana dal, powdered (optional)
8-10 garlic cloves
small piece of ginger
few coriander leaves

After applying the paste (I)
Step 1: Wash & drain the chicken pieces. Apply the paste made in (I) all over the pieces. Add half the salt & haldi. Mix & set aside for 10-15 mins.
Step 2: Heat 1 1/2 cup water in a container. Set aside.
Step 3: Heat half the oil in a pressure cooker. Add finely chopped onion & fry till its pink.
Step 4: Add chicken pieces in Step 1 & saute for 4-5 mins. Add warm water in Step 2 & close the lid. Cook upto 2 whistles on medium heat.
(At this stage, I reserve some part of this for my toddler. Its just salty & tastes great. Even elders can enjoy as soup. A great hit!!)
Step 5: Heat remaining oil in a heavy bottomed vessel. Add the masala paste in (II). Add the spice powders (see Note) & saute till the oil separates.
Step 6: Add cooked chicken & mix well. Add remaining salt. Check for the consistency. If you are looking for a thin curry, add some more 'warm' water. Cook for 5 mins.
Step 7: Garnish with coriander & serve hot with chapati, bhakri or rice.


Note: If using home-made garam masala, add it towards the end with chopped coriander. Mix well & keep covered for 5 mins & serve.










0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Indian Cooking Blogs Visit blogadda.com to discover Indian blogsBlog DirectoryTopOfBlogs Food & Drink
barcelona spanien
Gita on FoodistaGita
CookEatShare Member
view my recipes
CookEatShare Member
Proud member of FoodBlogs All recipes are on Petitchef MyFreeCopyright.com Registered & Protected
my foodgawker gallery